Just wanted to let everyone know how I think comments work. The first time you leave a comment it will not be posted to the blog until I review and approve it. This is done to minimize the number of “spam” comments. After the first comment is approved, future comments should be posted immediately. That being said, we’ll most likely be away from the internet for a few weeks so don’t be disheartened if your comment isn’t posted right a way.
Our current sailing adventure has gone through many stages. In the beginning it was just a romantic dream that included white sandy beaches and beautiful blue waters. Then it was on to the planning stage which was a step toward reality as we learned or realized that that there was a lot to be done before we could sail off into the sunset. Then came all the work. Downsizing, selling the house, moving, working on the boat, downsizing, moving, working on the boat. Lots of downsizing and lots of working on the boat. Well, tomorrow is the day that we cast off the dock lines and take the next giant step in the adventure. We’ll be departing the Apostle Islands Marina tomorrow afternoon and heading to the nearby islands for a night or two to regroup and rest before setting off for Isle Royal. We think we have a weather window Saturday and Sunday for the 80 mile open water crossing. We think we’ll depart around 7:00 in the evening Saturday and should arrive at Windigo on Isle Royal by noon on Sunday. It will be our first open water experience on Lake Superior and our first night time crossing. Kind of a big deal.
Bayfield to Isle Royal
After a few days at Windigo, we expect to sail into Canada and begin our exploration of the Canadian shore of Lake Superior. The Canadian shore is extremely remote with limited services (read no phone or internet) and we could well be out of touch for 4 to 6 weeks. We’ll be in touch when we can but it could be a while.
We’ve been provisioning the boat with food, beverage, and additional fuel and could probably be self sufficient for our entire time on Lake Superior if we had to be. Anyway, we’re off to the showers and hopefully a good nights rest before heading off tomorrow. I promise we’ll have some awesome pictures and stories in the future.
We were getting ready for a few days away from the dock with a destination of Raspberry Island in mind. Last minute provisions (beer) were purchased and stowed and water was taken on. I got the kayak tied on the davits like you see in the banner picture on the blog site. We had a pretty good east wind that had us pinned tight to the dock so we discussed a plan to get away from the dock. While not perfect, the plan would have worked fine except for that long kayak strapped to the stern. As we pulled away, the kayak was still overhanging the dock enough to flatten a small dock light on the end of the pier. Oops. I’m sure the light still worked but it had a funny new angle.
We stopped at the fuel dock and topped up with diesel, pumped out the holding tank, and confessed about the light. We made it away from the fuel dock with no drama and set off for Raspberry Island.
The predicted winds would make it a good place to spend the night. The forecast was for easterly a 5-10 moving to the south over night. We sailed a bit in light winds until they died and then motored for a bit. The wind came up again but nearly behind us now so we started sailing again. The sailing was smooth and we were headed in the right direction. After a few minutes we noticed that the true wind speed had risen to over 20 knots and we still had all the sail up. It was smooth sailing but probably a bit too much sail. We rounded the north side of Raspberry Island hoping to find calmer winds and an anchorage on the western shore. It wasn’t in the cards as the wind was wrapping around the island so we made our way to Raspberry Bay. The wind died later in the evening and we were treated to a beautiful sunset. Not sure what today will bring but hopefully we will get to a new island or two.