Holed Up in Chippewa Harbor (July 6th – 8th)

We woke up to a cloudy sky with traces of fog showing over the hills around Windigo.The fog wasn’t a good sign as our friend Dave had told us their was often fog on the main lake when it was clear in the harbors. We had about 40 miles to travel from Windigo to Chippewa Harbor so we knew fog wouldn’t be much fun. The other side of the equation is that once we’re outside, we won’t come back into a harbor unless visibility is good. In the case of Chippewa Harbor the entrance is a bit hard to find and once inside, good light is important to see the unmarked rocks and shoals.
We left WIndigo via Washington and Grace Harbors and rounded the Cumberland Point shoals out to the main lake. Visibility was good initially but then the fog rolled in as we had feared. We used the chart plotter to a course that kept us a minimum of one mile offshore and set the VHF and PA speaker to sound the appropriate fog signals. For the next 4 hours, visibility ranged from 200 feet to maybe 1/3 of a mile.

IMG_8131

The lord was definitely with us as the fog lifted as we neared the entrance to Chippewa Harbor after about a 40 mile trip. The first site through the fog was Isle Royal Light at Siskiwit bay (trust me it’s there).

Isle Royal Light

Isle Royal Light

We spotted the white triangular day mark as we neared Chippewa Harbor and made our way in. Navigating the narrow unmarked channel required one of us on the bow to watch for rocks while the other (Phebe) steered the boat.

Chippewa Day Mark

Chippewa Day Mark

 

 

Start of Chippewa Entry

Start of Chippewa Entry

IMG_3964

Heading to the Second Basin

Heading to the Second Basin

Once inside the harbor it was like we were on a small mountain lake. It’s very narrow with excellent protection. It’s been too windy and foggy to leave the last couple of days and we’ve been confined to the boat. It’s been too windy to row the dinghy and I have a slightly tweaked back making it impossible to put the motor on the dinghy. The weather forecast looks good for tomorrow so we’ll most likely move onto Rock Harbor.

Chippewa Harbour

Chippewa Harbour

IMG_8146IMG_8149