Sorry the posts have been so far between. I’m shooting for once a week but not making it. There honestly hasn’t been too much of interest to report. We have a truck coming the morning of May 12th to pick up Noodin for the trip to Bayfield. We’ll follow along as soon as we can after finishing the details here with the house that we’re renting. A good portion of the last week has been spent organizing what we’re bringing along and moving it aboard. We had a productive trip to Lowes to buy plastic storage containers with locking lids. We bought every size they have and then set about figuring out how things could be stored. Fortunately, we’ll be able to return some of the containers and recoup a little money for the kitty.
Shopping at Lowes
We love Noodin but have always been concerned about getting everything aboard. She’s got many wonderful attributes but but an abundance of dedicated storage space isn’t one of them. As we loaded things aboard we went from thinking that the worry had been for nothing to thinking that it wasn’t all going to fit. In the end, it did all fit but there is no room to spare.
A Snippet of the Chaos
A Neatly Loaded Rode Locker
We also made a little more progress on getting the house cleaned out. We’ve got a couple of rooms empty and have been able to give away an old freezer and refrigerator so we don’t have to deal with that. We’ve been burning cardboard and whatever else we can to lighten the inevitable dump run.
An Old Dresser Bites the Dust
This week we’ll be getting Noodin ready for transport. All of her outside removable parts will be removed and put inside the boat in preparation for the 1,300 mile road trip to Bayfield, WI. Pictures to follow…..
One by one projects are getting completed and things are being sold and leaving the house. Probably the biggest project to be completed is the new dodger. The old dodger was pretty haggard and the windows were very hard to see through. Phebe used the old dodger as a pattern for the new one and it turned out great. It will be awesome to be able to see where we’re going.
The New Dodger
Looking Through the New Vinyl
We also got the bracket for the wind vane installed so we could do a test fit of the vane. All went well and we have high hopes that the new Voyager self steering wind vane will perform well and take the majority of the shifts behind the wheel. The wind vane steers the boat so it keeps a constant angle to the wind and uses no electricity. Now we need to find a good Ojibwe name for the vane.
Voyager Wind Vane
We got a number of other things done including running the diesel engine and making miscellaneous repairs. The chain from Biloxi Bobby made it’s way into the chain locker. We have 225′ of chain backed with 100′ of 5/8″ nylon on the primary anchor.
A Locker full of Chain
And sadly, it was time for our brew stuff to go. After 7 years of brewing it was time to say good by to all of our brewing equipment. We don’t doubt that we’ll brew again someday but we just don’t have the space to store all the gear so it had to go. Pictured is most of the brew stuff minus the keg fridge. It sure was good while it lasted.
Bye Bye Brew Equipment
We’re just over two weeks from loading the boat on a truck bound for Bayfield. At times it’s hard to believe that this is really happening, but it certainly is.
We sold our 3,000 square foot foot house and moved into a 1,500 square foot rental. I’m not sure how to measure the size of the new “house” but it’s well under 300 square feet. An example of the downsizing is the barbecue grills. The large scale grill has been sold and replaced with the new boat grill. The size is different but so far the meals have been just as good. When we get things figured out a little more, we’ll plumb the new grill to the ship’s propane tanks and ditch the little green bottles.
We’ve been working hard on a number of different fronts but haven’t completed a lot of projects. We did get the SSB install done and I think it’s going to work out fine. We’ve got a little 30′, 14- gauge antenna rigged up and we’ve tuned people on both coasts so I think it’s done mostly right.
Mounting Shelf Below Nav Desk
Phebe has made great progress on recovering the interior cushions. I expect next weeks post to show the new interior look with all new cushions.
Our water maker arrived the other day but likely won’t get installed until we’re underway. We won’t be able to use it until we’re in the ocean so we have some time.
Spectra 200T Watermaker
We’ve made progress on selling the possessions but still have a ways to go. Frankly, we’re to the point where it just needs to go. We’re looking for a young family that we could give some of it to. We’ve also started organizing what comes with and it’s starting to look like a large pile. More on that later.